Warm weather during the winter can create challenging conditions and increase the risk of slip and fall injury for employees. Slips and falls can happen year round but risk increases in winter conditions. Some estimates claim that 80% of all slips and falls can be attributed to slippery conditions from ice and snow. It is important to be prepared for warmer weather during the winter months when melting snow can be a hazard.
Lots of information can be found on how to keep your work site safe. Here are a few simple precautions.
- keep shovels handy for staff to clear walkways, paths, and steps of snow and ice
- keep a container of deicer handy for staff to use during the early morning and during freezing conditions
- keep hallways clear of melted snow and water by using industrial mats in entrance areas
- remind staff to wear appropriate winter footwear
- if staff are unable to clear snow in a timely manner, consider hiring a snow removal company that can keep you at the top of the list
Safety needs to be a part of the staff culture and everyone needs understand the plan for snow removal and keep it as a part of their responsibility to ensure the workplace is safe for everyone. It is everyone’s responsibility to keep the workplace safe.